Cosmelan – A Color Correcting Peel
What is Cosmelan MD?
Cosmelan MD is a pre-made package of a chemical peel to correct brownish skin discoloration. Remember that you want cosmelan MD, which is much more potent and effective than regular Cosmelan. Dr. Parvin Shafa is a dermatologist in Irvine, Orange County, CA who specializes in treating skin discoloration with Cosmelan MD chemical peels (among other existing mild to aggressive chemical peels). Read more about Cosmelan MD below or book a Complimentary Consultation with Dr. Parvin Shafa. During your consultation, you will learn about the risks and benefits of Cosmelan MD treatment, as well as alternative treatments to correct your skin discoloration.
Cosmelan Before and After Photos
Cosmelan v.s. Cosmelan “MD”
The MD version is a significantly more effective version of Cosmelan, and the treatment must be performed under a physician’s supervision to avoid any associated risk with this treatment. Cosmelan contains a prescription product called hydroquinone, which is the most chosen bleaching agent by dermatologists in the United States. Cosmelan MD is designed to attenuate or eliminate blemishes and brownish discoloration caused by excess melanin in the skin. Cosmelan MD is sold only to physicians – online retail is illegal and unsafe.
Cosmelan MD active products
- Azelaic Acid
- Salicylic Acid
- Kojic Acid
- Licorice Extract and more
Is Hydroquinone a safe product?
Hydroquinone is one of the most effective and prescribed bleaching agents that is FDA-approved in the United States.. This product has been used cosmetically and industrially for over 50 years. Over the past few years, there has been some controversy over hydroquinone safety;, there have been no reports of anyone developing cancer from hydroquinone prescription dosage. At this time Dr. Shafa recommends that this product be used under physician supervision for a limited time to correct the discoloration but not to maintain the correction.
How is the procedure performed?
The Cosmelan MD is a two-step chemical peel. The first part of the procedure is performed in the office when you will be sent home with a product on the face that looks like “mud”. Subsequently you will be sent home with some take-home products with instructions. The second part requires the patient to apply the product for the following two weeks; this may need to continue longer if instructed.
How does Cosmelan work?
Cosmelan depigmentation treatment blocks the body’s biological process that causes skin discoloration in the skin’s deeper layers from surfacing. Cosmelan inhibits Tyrosinase, an enzyme involved in the production of melanin (brown color of the skin).
What can be corrected with Cosmelan?
- Melasma, Chloasma (pregnancy mask)
- Senile lentigo, Sun spots, “age spots”
- Generalized darkening of the skin
- Cosmetic desire for lighter skin color
What is the advantage of Cosmelan over alternative treatments for skin discoloration?
Dr. Shafa states that it is nice to have one more alternative treatment option for correcting discoloration since this type of skin issue is very challenging and difficult to treat.
When is the best time to use Cosmelan?
Treatment may be started at any time of the year but preferably not in summer. We recommend that the patient strictly stays away from sun exposure for the first week of the treatment. Sun protection is extremely important following the few weeks after the treatment, and sunblock with moisturizer is highly recommended.. A person with a history of skin discoloration is especially at high risk of developing PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) while the skin is inflamed during the first week of treatment.
How is the Cosmelan MD application performed?
This procedure starts with Dr. Shafa at the medical office:
- The skin is cleaned with a special cleanser.
- A degreasing solution is applied over the area being treated. This eliminates all impurities and oil from the skin to achieve optimum penetration of Cosmelan 1 cream.
- A thick layer of Cosmelan 1 mask is applied to the area. It looks like a “Mud mask”.
At our office, the procedure is completed, and you will be sent home with a jar of Cosmelan 2 and a tube of HydraVital K along with home instructions. The Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment must be continued at home on a daily basis, according to the guidelines indicated.
What is home instruction for Cosmelan therapy?
You leave the office with the mask on the skin. You wash off the mask at home anywhere between 8 to 12 hours later, as instructed by Dr. Shafa. The number of hours the mask is left on the skin depends on the skin type, problems targeted, skin sensitivity, evolution of pigment, and Dr. Parvin Shafa’s professional experience with the use of the product
What to expect after an office visit
- Day #1: Office treatment.
- Day #2: Cosmelan mask is removed with a gentle cleanser at home; Hydra-Vital Factor K cream must be applied to keep the skin hydrated and comfort the skin.
- Day #3: Skin looks red like sunburn. It may feel warm and tight as well.
- Day #4: Skin peeling begins around the mouth and, later, the upper part of the face.
- Day #5: Cheeks and forehead skin peeling is noticeable.
- Day #6: Residual peeling is noticed. Cosmelan II cream should be applied twice a day for two weeks and once a day afterwards.
What is the result of the treatment?
Within a week, patients will notice that the skin blemishes begin to fade, with a brighter complexion breaking through. After a couple of weeks, the skin will take on a shiny, healthier glow. These results will continue to improve over the fourth or fifth week, when the full benefits of a Cosmelan Peel can be seen. Patients who commit to a daily routine will see the smooth results from the Cosmelan Peel last for many months to come. The skin will be delicate and sensitive the first two weeks after treatment; during this time, prolonged sun exposure should be avoided and a full spectrum sunscreen worn at all times.
Potential complication of Cosmelan treatment
- During the first week of Cosmelan treatment, redness and some sunburn-like discomfort is expected. Skin might feel tight and dry, with some itching that can be controlled with moisturizer.
- An allergic reaction of the product is possible with the use of any topical product.
- Risk of serious complications (i.e. worsened discoloration) can be decreased by the right candidate, weeks of preparation of the skin prior to the treatment, strict following of instruction during and after treatment.
- Skin infection or a herpes breakout can also occur, but both can easily be prevented.
We recommend that you have the procedure performed by an experienced physician since a complication can occur with any aggressive procedure. In that case, you will want someone with you who will be able to treat the complication and help you achieve the final, satisfactory result. Ask Questions or Call us for a complimentary consultation to see if you are a right candidate for cosmelan treatment.*
Schedule a Consultation