Hormone imbalance and acne
Medical evaluation for acne is the first essential step to treat acne
Acne can simply be caused by underlying medical issues. Dr. Shafa’s experience in medical and cosmetic dermatology gives her the unique ability to evaluate each patient from inside and out. Ask for an appointment to be evaluated medically before beginning treatment for acne.
After a medical evaluation, you may need treatment for the underlying diseases or conditions, such as a hormonal imbalance, which may be the cause of your acne. Here are a few examples of hormonal imbalance that can cause acne.
What type of hormone imbalance can cause acne?
- Increased testosterone production for female or males can be associated with acne and excessive facial hair growth.
- Irregular monthly periods can be due to lack of ovulation leading to hormonal imbalance and acne
- Polycystic ovarian disease can be the cause of acne, facial hair growth, and weight gain
- Hormonal imbalance during puberty or menopause can lead to acne with or without mood swings.
- Gland dysfunction can lead to hormonal imbalance and acne
- Acne can be the first sign of androgen secreting tumors
The above are included but are not limited to the possible underlying medical causes of acne that need to be evaluated.
Hormone Treatment for Acne
Acne can be one of the first presenting signs of the overproduction of androgens, although serum androgen may or may not be shown to be elevated by blood tests. Options to balance hormones include:
- Birth control pills (Stops ovarian androgen)
- Spironolactone (Blocks androgen receptors)
- Steroids (Stops adrenal gland androgens)
- Removing hormone producing tumors
- Identifying and avoiding digestion of products with hormone effect
If you are suffering from acne, feel free to call us to make an appointment to see Dr. Shafa. During your appointment, Dr. Shafa will evaluate your skin as well as overall health. After the type and cause of acne is diagnosed, Dr. Shafa will explain the variety of treatment options best suited to your needs and help select the best regimen for you and your skin. If you have questions prior to your visit, please do not hesitate to ask here.