Acne Scar Correction with TCA*
What does TCA CROSS mean?
TCA stands for trichloroacetic acid and CROSS simply stands for Chemical Reconstruction of Skin Scars.
TCA CROSS to correct acne scar
See Dr. Shafa for your acne scar removal. Her training, knowledge and experience make her the best physician to perform this procedure quickly, with minimal risk, and high yield outcomes.
How is the procedure performed?
The TCA CROSS procedure involves depositing small amounts of highly concentrated
TCA onto the surface of the atrophic scars while sparing the remaining skin. This chemically irritates the scar tissue and creates local inflammation, which promotes new collagen fibers. Increased collagen synthesis at the site of the scar lifts the depression, flattens acne scars, and improves skin texture.
Advantages of TCA Cross Treatment
- In the hands of an experienced physician, it is fast and less costly than alternative treatments such as laser
- Since the treated area is surrounded by healthy skin, the recovery of the created injury in the skin is highly likely to occur without any complications, just like fractional laser therapy
- The procedure is not bloody and easily tolerated, although it penetrates the deeper layer of your scar
- Makeup can be applied the following day of the treatment
What should you expect after the procedure?
- Frosting of the scar surface will last less than 1 hour
- The skin around the treated sites will possibly be red and if any mildly sore up to 1-2 days
- After a few days, a small scab will develop and fall off the following week
- You may wash as normal and may apply make-up if desired
- Sunscreen is recommended to reduce the chance of pigmentation
How many treatments are required?
Just like all the other acne scar removal options, multiple treatments can continue to improve the depth of the acne scar. In general, most patients benefit from 3 to 6 treatments at 2 to 8-week intervals.
What is the outcome following TCA CROSS?
This procedure is highly technical and requires expertise in performing this process. If performed correctly, TCA Cross is moderate to highly effective for atrophic acne scars depending on the number of treatments performed. Acne scar improvement should be expected over a 6-12 month period following the treatment.
Pretreatment of the skin and post-procedure skin care is crucial
Why might the results of TCA CROSS vary significantly from case to case? The type of scar, how we prep and treat the skin prior to the TCA cross, and how you follow post-procedure skincare all matter in determining the final outcome. Your type of acne scars will be evaluated and you will be informed about the details of the treatment during our complimentary consultation for cosmetic acne scar correction.
If you are suffering from acne scars, feel free to call us to make an appointment to see Dr. Shafa. During your appointment, Dr. Shafa will evaluate your skin, as well as overall health. After the type and cause of the acne scar is diagnosed, Dr. Shafa will explain the variety of treatment options best suited to your needs and help select the best regimen for you and your skin. If you have questions prior to your visit, please do not hesitate to click here ask questions.