What is Restylane?
Restylane is a leading dermal filler that is injected under the skin to replaces lost volume and restores youthful contours of the face. Restylane smooth away moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as the lines from your nose to the corners of your mouth (nasolabial folds). Restylane is made of Hyaluronic acids (HAs) which is a clear colorless gel.
Dr. Parvin Shafa is an experienced dermatologist in Irvine, Orange County that has been using Restylane products to restore youthful looks for her patients since 2003 when Restylane as the first HA was FDA approved. Prior to that Dr. Shafa was a pioneer in injecting older fillers such as collagen, Zyderm, Zyplast and more.
What are the Hyaluronic acids (HAs)?
HAs, Hyaluronic acids, are natural substances found in many tissues throughout the body and present in particularly high amounts in the skin and joint tissue and the fluid that fills the joints. In the human body natural hyaluronic acid acts as a lubricant for the joints and provides volume and fullness to the skin. Most of the HAs are not animal obtained products. Synthetic HAs are a colorless clear gel that are used as a dermal filler as well as joint lubricant that can be injected into the joint space.
Are Hyaluronic Acids (HAs) FDA approved?
Restylane is the leading and first HA approved by FDA in 2003. Restylane family as well as Juvederm family are both the most popular synthetic HAs in use and FDA approved. Restylane is currently provided by Galderma, previously by Medicis. Juvederm is provided by Allergan. Belotero is another FDA approved HA provided by Merz. Most of the HAs are approved by the FDA as a dermal filler.
The Restylane family of products includes:
- Restylane L : “The classic Restylane” and the first FDA approved HA in USA. This product is used to add volume to the skin in order to correct moderate to severe facial lines and enhance lips. This product combines lidocaine, as a pain reliever, in order to improve comfort during and after injection.
- Restylane Silk: This product is designed to target the lips and the lines that form around the mouth. It is comprised of a unique particle gel formula that allows for precise injection and natural results. The consistency of this gel is silky smooth to deliver beautifully smooth lip contours.
- Restylane Lyft: This clear gel immediately adds volume to smooth away wrinkles of the face, correcting moderate to severe facial lines. Additionally, it is used to fill in thin or thinning lips
- Restylane Refyne: This product is designed to target the lips and the lines that form around the mouth. It is comprised of a unique particle gel formula that allows for precise injection and natural results. The consistency of this gel is silky smooth to deliver beautifully smooth lip contours.
- Restylane defyne: This product is unique in the size of the particles and depth of injection. This product is intended for more severe facial wrinkles that require deeper injection in the skin. This product was previously called Perlane.
How do I choose between different type of Restylane ?
You don’t have to. Dr. Shafa will decide which product is right for you based on you desire and goal and an evaluation of facial wrinkles and folds. Hyaluronic acid in all type of Restylane is made by similar biotechnical process. What make the difference in type of Restylane is the gel particle size which give different texture and consistency to the gel. For instant Restylane Lyft gel particles are larger and designed for deeper injection than Restylane.