COSMELAN - COLOR CORRECTING PEEL
What is Cosmelan MD?
Cosmelan MD is a pre made package of chemical peel to correct skin brownish discoloration. Remember that you want cosmelan MD which is much more potent and effective than Cosmelan. Dr. Parvin Shafa is a dermatologist in Irvine, Orange County CA specialized in treatment of skin discoloration and chemical peels using Cosmelan MD among all the other mild to aggressive chemical peels existing. Read more about Cosmelan MD below or book a complimentary consultation with Dr. Parvin Shafa. During consultation you will learn about risk and benefit of Cosmelan MD treatment as well as alternative treatments to correct your skin discoloration.
Cosmelan before and after photos
What is Cosmelan “MD”?
MD version is a significantly more effective version of cosmelan and the treatment must be performed under a physician’s supervision to avoid any associated risk with this treatment. Cosmelan contains a prescription product called hydroquinone which is the most chosen bleaching agent by dermatologists in United States. Cosmelan MD is designed to attenuate/eliminate blemishes and brownish discoloration caused by excess melanin in the skin. Cosmelan MD is sold only to the physician and retail online is illegal and not safe.
Cosmelan MD active products
2) Azelaic Acid
3) Salicylic Acid
4) Kojic Acid
6) Licorice Extract and more
Is Hydroquinone a safe product?
Hydroquinone is one of the most effective and prescribed bleaching agent, FDA approved in united state. This product is in cosmetic and industrial use for over 50 years. Over past few years, there have been some controversy over hydroquinone safety. Apparently there have been no reports of anyone developing cancer from hydroquinone prescription dosage. At this time Dr. Shafa recommends that this product can be used under physician supervision for a limited time to correct the discoloration but not to maintain the correction.
How is the procedure performed?
The Cosmelan MD is a two step process chemical peel. First part is a mask prepared and applied to the face and discolored area by our physician Dr. Shafa in the office. Subsequently patient is going to be send home with some take home products with an instruction.The second part of the treatment is application of the products at home for the following two weeks that may be continued longer if instructed so.
How does Cosmelan work?
Cosmelan depigmentation treatment blocks the body’s biological process that causes skin discoloration in the skin’s deeper layers from surfacing. Cosmelan inhibits Tyrosinase, an enzyme involved in the production of melanin (brown color of the skin).
What can be corrected with Cosmelan?
- Melasma, Chloasma (pregnancy mask)
- Senile lentigo, Sun spots, “age spots”
- Generalized darkening of the skin
- Cosmetic desire for lighter skin color
What is the advantage of Cosmelan over alternative treatments for skin discoloration?
Dr. Shafa states that it is nice to have one more alternative treatment option for correcting discoloration since this type of skin issue is very challenging and difficult to treat.
When is the best time to use Cosmelan?
Treatment may be started at any time of the year preferably not summer. We recommend that the patient strictly stays away from sun exposure for the first week of the treatment. The use of sunblock with moisturizer and sun protection is strictly recommended for the following few weeks after the treatment. Especially a person with history of skin discoloration is particularly at high risk of developing PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) while skin is inflamed during first week of treatment.
How is the Cosmelan MD application performed?
This is a procedure initiated at the medical office performed by the Dr. Shafa.
- Skin is going to be cleaned with a special cleanser.
- A degreasing solution applied over area being treated. It will eliminate all impurities oil from the skin to achieve optimum penetration of Cosmelan 1 cream.
- A thick layer of Cosmelan 1 mask is applied to the area being treated for discoloration. It looks like a “Mud mask”
At our office the procedure is completed and you will be sent home with a jar of Cosmelan 2 and a tube of HydraVital K along home instructions performed under physician supervision. The Cosmelan Depigmentation treatment must be continued at home, on a daily basis, according to the guidelines indicated.
What is home instruction for Cosmelan therapy?
You leave the office with the mask on the skin. You wash off the mask at home anywhere between 8 to 12 hours later as instructed by Dr. Shafa. The number of hours the mask is left on the skin depends on the type skin, problems targeted, skin sensitivity, evolution of pigment and Dr. Parvin Shafa professional experience with the use of the product
What to expect after office visit?
- Day # 1: Office treatment
- Day # 2: Cosmelan mask is removed with a gentle cleanser at home, Hydra-Vital Factor K cream must be applied to keep the skin hydrated and comfort the skin.
- Day # 3: Skin looks red like sunburn, may feel warm and tight as well
- Day # 4: Skin peeling begins around the mouth and then later upper part of the face
- Day # 5: Skin peeling of cheeks and forehead noticed
- Day # 6: Residual peeling is noticed. Cosmelan II cream should be applied twice a day for two weeks and once a day after.
What is the result of the treatment?
Within a week, patients will notice skin blemishes are beginning to fade, and a brighter a complexion is breaking through. After a couple weeks, the skin will take on a shiny, healthier glow. These results will continue to improve over the fourth or fifth week, when the full benefits of a Cosmelan Peel can be seen.
Patient who commit to a daily routine will see the smooth results from the Cosmelan Peel last for many months to come. The skin will be delicate and sensitive the first two weeks after treatment; prolonged sun exposure should be avoided and a full spectrum sunscreen worn at all times.
Potential complication of Cosmelan treatment
- During the first week of cosmelan treatment redness and some discomfort like sunburn is expected. Skin might feel tight, dry with some itching that can be controlled with moisturizer.
- Allergic reaction to the product is a possibility with the use of any topical
- Risk of serious complications such as worsening of discoloration can be decreased by using the right candidate, weeks of preparation of the skin prior to the treatment, strict following of instruction during and after treatment.
- Skin infection and herpes breakout
We recommend you have the procedure performed by an experienced physician since complication can happen with any aggressive procedure and it that case you want someone with you and be able to treat the complication with the final satisfactory result.